"The most far-reaching change in West Virginia's school system since the
advent of public schools was effected by legislation in 1933
substituting county units for district units. To provide
equality of opportunity between children attending urban and rural schools,
the new law reduced the administrative units from 397 to 55, or one for each
county, and provided a guarantee of State financial aid to each county in
proportion to the total amount of money necessary to keep its schools open
during a full term each year."